Plastic Waste to Lifeguard Tower
Celebrate World Oceans Day with us as we build the first ever structure completed in the United States with ByBlock!
The Manhattan Beach ByBlock Lifeguard Tower will divert approximately 1,420 pounds of plastic waste from being in a landfill or the ocean.
The ByBlock will consist of recycled plastics 1-7 and Channel Islands Surfboard foam waste provided by Sustainable Surf.
ABOUT THE BEACH CLEANUP
ByFusion will be coordinating a beach cleanup with Heal The Bay and the South Bay Boardriders Club. All plastic removed from the shore will be used to create more ByBlocks for future builds!
- 8 am: Start Tower Build
- 8:30 am: Alex Gray Surf Demo, Signing, and Tower Build
- 9 - 11 am: Beach Cleanup with Heal The Bay and South Bay Boardriders Club.
- 11 - 11:15 am: Lifeguard Tower Inauguration
- 11:15 - 11:30 am: Photo Opportunity
- 11:30 am: Manhattan Beach Mayor Pro Tem Nancy Hersman and Manhattan Beach Sustainable Youth Council will make a public address about city sustainability efforts
- 11:45 am: California Senator Ben Allen public address about plastic waste
- 12 pm - 5 pm: Complete Tower Build
- 7 pm: Remove Tower From The Beach.